What is volunteering?
"Volunteering is the giving of time and energy through a third party, which can bring measurable benefits to the volunteer, individual beneficiaries, groups and organisations, communities, the evironment and society at large. It is a choice undertaken of one's free will, and is not motivated primarily for financial gain or for a wage or salary" Scottish Executive (2004).
Benefits of Volunteering
You do voluntary work freely and from choice, so you control the time you contribute and what you do.
Through volunteering to help others you can :
- Gain personal achievement & satisfaction
- Develop new skills
- Gain work experience
- Pass on your talents and abilities to people who want to learn from you
- Know you have made a positive difference to the lives of local people
- Meet new people and making new friends
- Have fun!
Volunteering may even lead to paid employment or help you towards a career change.
The only qualifications you need to start volunteering are:
- An open mind
- A little time
- A desire to share and learn
To search for volunteering opportunities in your area please go to the Volunteer Scotland Search Engine.
We are happy to give you information. You are under no obligation to volunteer.